Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your residence, being comfortable in your new space year-round is key. However, they can make a unique challenge for contentment. This is because adding ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the heightened load, since it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most reasonably priced options is to add a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Learn more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition might be a great solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, because they’re much like ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient because they transfer heat to make your room more comfortable. In actuality, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for added rebates and reduce your utility bills for years to come.
Another special feature is zoned heating and cooling. Since each room typically has an individual indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is especially helpful if you have a space with precise temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Addition
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for areas that don’t have ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s better than extending ductwork and leaning on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is pricey. Extending ductwork in your new addition can add up quickly. Although the total figure will depend on your residence, it run thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system could become overworked. When your present heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your residence prior to the addition. This can overwhelm your system and make it wear out faster.
- Your comfort might be affected. As your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort might be reduced if your system is forced to manage a wider space. Your heating and cooling might be less efficient, and your energy expenses may go up due to the system needing to turn on more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like more common systems, mini-splits come in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Stallion Heating Plumbing Air Conditioning, we’ll help you get the proper size for your new area. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate sizable energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or longer when routinely maintained. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Stallion Heating Plumbing Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you choose the recommended model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Stallion Heating Plumbing Air Conditioning can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently wrapped one up, we can provide support. Contact us at 215-278-9690 now to request a free consultation and estimate.