Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air inside your home nice and cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, other than of air conditioner service, to help keep the Philadelphia heat out and help your air conditioner last through the final days of summer.
Here are seven tips from Stallion Heating Plumbing Air Conditioning to help keep hot air out of your home:
- Block out the sun. Quite a bit of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by utilizing solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The areas in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can do a complete comfort performance assessment for you to discover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Inspect your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that may be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven add a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave versus your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that could create heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances the night off.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help block the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also provide shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The biggest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After learning about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the ideal option could simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it could mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make certain that your equipment is running as it should be and that you are getting optimal efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give Stallion Heating Plumbing Air Conditioning in Philadelphia or set up an appointment online to have a professional check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s working as it should be.